In Fort Collins, Colorado, and surrounding areas, residents and visitors can take advantage of a growing network of electric vehicle chargers. This comprehensive guide explores the types of EV chargers available, their charging capabilities, locations, and important considerations for EV owners in Fort Collins, Colorado. Whether you're a current EV owner or considering making the switch, this guide will help you navigate the city's charging landscape and make informed decisions about charging your electric vehicle.
Types of Electric Vehicle Chargers
1) Level 1 Chargers:
- Level 1 chargers are the most basic and typically come with the vehicle upon purchase.
- These chargers use a standard household outlet (120V) and provide a charging rate of 2-5 miles of range per hour of charging.
- Level 1 chargers are suitable for overnight charging at home or when a slow charging rate is sufficient.
2) Level 2 Chargers:
- Level 2 chargers provide a faster charging option compared to Level 1.
- These chargers require a dedicated 240V electrical circuit and offer a charging rate of 10-30 miles of range per hour of charging.
- Level 2 chargers are commonly found in public locations, workplaces, and residential settings.
3) DC Fast Chargers:
- DC Fast Chargers, also known as Level 3 chargers, provide rapid charging for EVs.
- They can charge an EV from 0 to 80% in approximately 30 minutes.
- DC Fast Chargers require specialized equipment and are typically found at public charging stations along highways or in commercial areas.
Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure in Fort Collins
1)Public Charging Stations:
- Fort Collins has a growing number of public charging stations throughout the city.
- These stations offer Level 2 and DC Fast Chargers and are conveniently located in public parking lots, shopping centers, and other high-traffic areas.
- The ChargePoint and EVgo networks are widely available, providing access to multiple charging stations with various payment options.
- The City of Fort Collins is committed to helping electric vehicle owners navigate their journeys by providing a list of EV charging stations on the city website, as well as an interactive map and information on tax credits available to EV owners.
Some public charging stations located in the city of Fort Collins include:
- Downtown Civic Center Parking Garage
- Downtown Firehouse Alley Parking Garage
- Mulberry Pool
- Senior Center
- South Transit Center
- EPIC (Edora Pool Ice Center)
- Platte River Power Authority
2) Workplace Charging:
- Many employers in Fort Collins are installing EV charging stations to support their employees' electric vehicles.
- Check with your workplace to see if they offer EV charging options.
3) Residential Charging:
- EV owners in Fort Collins can install Level 2 chargers at their homes to ensure convenient charging overnight.
- It's important that you hire a licensed electrician to install a Level 2 charger in your home for safety, insurance, and electrical integrity purposes. An experienced electrician will know what permits and required inspections are necessary for installing a Level 2 charger in your home, as well as inspect the electrical load brought on by adding a 240V outlet to your existing limits. Three Crowns Electric can help with the installation process and ensure compliance with electrical codes and safety standards.
Important Considerations for EV Owners
1) Charging Network Memberships:
- Consider signing up for memberships with charging networks like ChargePoint or EVgo to access a larger network of public charging stations and simplified payment options.
2) Charging Station Apps:
- Utilize smartphone applications like PlugShare or ChargePoint to find available charging stations, check pricing, and monitor the charging process remotely.
3) Charging Etiquette:
- Be mindful of others by moving your vehicle promptly once charging is complete, allowing others to access the charger.
- Avoid occupying a charging station for longer than necessary.
4) Planning for Longer Trips:
- Before embarking on longer journeys, plan your route to include charging stops along the way.
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of DC Fast Chargers and plan for any necessary charging time.
Fort Collins is committed to supporting electric vehicle owners with an expanding charging infrastructure network. By understanding the types of chargers available, the locations of charging stations, and important considerations for EV owners, you can confidently navigate Fort Collins and the surrounding area charging landscape. Whether you charge at public stations, at your workplace, or at home, the city provides options to power your electric vehicle with ease. Embrace the future of transportation and enjoy the convenience of charging your EV in Fort Collins. At Three Crowns Electric, our experts offer electric car charger installations for home and business owners in Evans, Greeley, Fort Collins, Windsor, Loveland, and Thornton. Our installation service is what sets us apart from the rest! Don't hesitate to reach out to our office to speak to one of our friendly professionals and schedule your free quote today!